DeadSkirts 11 years on Line! Forum Index DeadSkirts 11 years on Line!
Email Deadskirts@gmail.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fading Memories of 9/11 - 16 years later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeadSkirts 11 years on Line! Forum Index -> ALL TOPIC Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geno

PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Fading Memories of 9/11 - 16 years later Reply with quote

Well it looks like the anniversary of 9/11 has come and gone, with no mention of it by our top DS members like Jimbo, Sandi, Big O, DeMan, and many others. Do I think they have forgotten about it? Not exactly, I think those members have become much more emotional detached from one of the most horrific attacks on freedom in the 21 century over time, in which nearly 3,000 real Americans were killed. I think they are tired of sharing their feelings and remembering the incidents of that year. They are , in effect, forgetting 911. no way I guess we suspected in tht would happen in hearts and mind, that they would do that over time.

Some Americans are much more honest about their feelings and will flat out say. "Forget 911 it's time to move on, at get 911 behind us". XJ900 a DS member, a Britisher, describes 9/11 as "old news". Most recently regarding the tensions in The Pacific he also said it "old news" also. What chance the 9/11 memories have then.

If you want up to the average American on the Streets of the United States and ask them one of the simplest question about 9/11. What year did the September 11th, attacks occur. About 70% will not know the answer.

The 9/11 generation (kids born after 9/11) were either too young to remember it directly, or not even board. Yet today they live a strict Big Brother world because of it. An American society where they get brutal massages by the TSA agents, and have to take off their shoes before boarding airplanes, and sometimes strip off their clothes. Does not matter if you forgot about 9/11 or never really cared, but like it or not, you all still going through those Big Brother security measures caused by the historical incident.

I don't think we should let the memory of the murders of 2977 people (not counting the 19 highjacker who were not victims) fade out of history and from our minds. The old saying "Those who forget the past are condemned to Repeat It" I know I won't.

Geno
xj900

PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never said that 9/11 was 'old news', Geno. What I did say was that our media outlets even the BBC were treating the NK hydrogen bomb as 'old news'! Not even remotely the same!
BUt yes, you do have a point, the anniversary has come & gone and not even a mention over here on any of the news outlets (both tv and radio)! sad

BTW for what it's worth my Mother rated the events of 9/11 as third in shock-value for the 20th century. I guess it's because Tony Blair (our then PM) had been ranting on & on about the Islamic menace from Sadaam Hussein and how the Iraqis were planning to attack us without warning at any moment. I guess we were sort of mentally and emotionally prepared for something like it.
Geno

PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't blame you so much xj900. After all it didn't occur inside of your country. I'm more disappointed with the Americans who mindlessly repeat the phrase " we shall never forget." And they're the first ones that are letting 911 Fade Into something minor.

Geno
xj900

PostPosted: Sep Wed 13, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, Geno. The Americans remember and honour those who died at Pearl Harbor, or the assassination of President Kennedy, every year without fail. But 9/11 is already fading from the public consciousness - perhaps it's because there have been so many terrorist atrocities since, no single one as great or as so publicised at the time, but there have been a constant string of them mainly from the Med and Middle East.
Yes, 3,000 Americans died in 9/11, but how many thousands have died trying to make the crossing from North Africa, or were rounded up, tortured and shot by ISIS, Daesh, Boco Haram, or whatever? They have been killing that number in a week without fail for years now, and I guess the West have just become completely anethatised to the slaughter.
Foxx

PostPosted: Sep Wed 13, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of thoughts.

- While it was, and currently still is the single biggest impacting event of the 21st century, a lack of thread isn't the same as forgetting. Hell, I can't recall having seen a thread about the JFK or MLK assassinations, but very few, if any have forgotten.

- Not just Americans were killed in those attacks, but citizens of 62 different countries perished. ( in case you're wondering what the full list is - http://brilliantmaps.com/9-11-victims/ )

- I'll be honest, lacking a source, I just flat out can't believe the 70% of Americans won't know what year 9/11 happened on. if I can generalize a touch - most Americans aren't big on history, but if it happened in their lifetimes they tend not to forget. And the images from that day would be very difficult to forget.

- Geno.. proofreading after you write it out, but before hitting post will catch some things. "The 9/11 generation (kids born after 9/11) were either too young to remember it directly, or not even board." assuming you ment born instead of board... then it would be 0 in the former and all in the latter.

- I agree with the last paragraph, but would like to throw in a different quote - "If history always repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience." - George Bernard Shaw.
Geno

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foxx is not just one missing thread, the sentiment goes far beyond that of just not caring as much about the attack on the East Coast. It's fading faster than Pear Harbor and more people were killed in the latter incident. No president has ever failed to honor both Pear Harbor and 9/11 without out participating in some kind of ceremony. You can't disregard a signal effort on those memorials. You can't say, 'oh well, the President did not honor Pearl Harbor this year."

I never said history repeats itself, but it DOES have the "tendancy" to repeat itself. We saw that in World War I and World World War II for those forgot. Also again in Pear Harbor attacks. I won't play the race game about a few hundred foreigners being in the mix with all those killed. It was an attack on America and because we are the brightness beacon of light for freedom in the world.

You will have to be on the streets of United States if you care, then you will shocked to know that most Americans don't know the year 9/11 occurred. Now maybe if you go to heartland American state like Utah or Wyoming you might find higher percentage of people who remember the year 9/11 occurred it. Not on the streets of Chicago or Los Angeles. no way I am sure the percentage will vary depending on where you take the survey. I taken my own and found out that over 1/2 the time, a person does not know the year 9/11 occurred.

xj900 - You can't equate and up other murder and have it be as effective a terrorist act. We have more than 20, 000 homicides in the country every year. You don't take so many killing from ISIS, so many killing for Al Queda, or Somali, and add them separate.
Even the 500 to 700 killing every year in Chicago Illinois, United States wll exceed the murders of 9/11 every few years.

All you need to do is kill a few people at a major event like NLF football game, The Academy Awards, The Miss American Beauty Contest, and you will shock the world. That it was we are talking up into one big terrorist incident. They are about. Terrorist incident and those who forget them, or just don't care any more.

Geno
xj900

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the publicity impact, Geno - 9/11 was splashed luridly across practically every TV station for all to see and stare at.
Re the 20,000 murders in the US each year, sorry but they will never have the same impact to Jo Public - it's all a question of becoming aneasthetised to them.
There is a growing movement over here which states that the reporting of all 'terrorist' incidents should be banned on our media. Stop giving the terrorists free publicity and the ability to reach into every persons homes.
Foxx

PostPosted: Sep Fri 15, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno,

You are correct that no president has let either December 7th, or September 11th pass without marking the occasion. And that, thus far, remains true. Although wondering why you brought that up, since that remains as true as it has every year since those events.

I didn't say you said that history repeats itself, although you did mention it in a quote, just figured I'd toss in a similar quote on the same theme. (also, one of my personal favorite quotes, so I do use almost any reason to bring it out Very Happy )

How is it a "race card" thing to acknowledge that citizens of 62 countries were killed in that event? American isn't a race. Canadian isn't a race. Chilian isn't a race. Kenyan isn't a race. Nationalities aren't races. While it was a strike against America, it was also a strike against the entire free world (it was called the World Trade Center afterall), and it destroyed families the world over.

Although I do fully agree that, at the time America was the brightest beacon of freedom in the world, which is one of the reasons it was attacked. They attacked the brightest point of the free world. I'd argue the response has dimmed that light, although certainly not extinguished it.

It may be a geographic thing (or perhaps the group of people you know, depending on how that survey was conducted) for the survey bit, as when I'm in the states it's mostly New England (primarally VT) and northern NY. And I'm quite willing to wager that a majority, if not vast majority (my pick) will know what year. Although, via the internet, I've yet to meet one who didn't. (although, to be fair, it is online so they could just be looking it up.) Curious though, how many people have you surveyed? and what the most common answer was. (other than 2001).

XJ,

I do know of that idea, but you run into a basic problem with that idea. How is a major terrorist attack not news? Add in a if a landmark is destroyed in the process. The job of a reporter is to inform the audience of what's happening in the world. If a major event happens and it's not covered, they are just plain not doing their jobs. And I think the last thing anyone needs is any government picking and choosing what citizens get to hear about. While I can think of governments that do that, I can't think of any in what could be called the "free world".
xj900

PostPosted: Sep Fri 15, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Fox, here's the latest terrorist bombing, from SW London this morning - once again luridly and sensationally screaming out from the TV screen, radio and newspapers...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-41218382

I'm sorry but our media & press are giving the terrorists what they thrive on. So long as they carry on this way, we will always have terrorism...
A lot of people over here are cynically suggesting our government is actually stoking the terrorist fires by insisting it allways be reported in lurid, minute detail across every possible media outlet, accusing them of 'lack of patriotism' if they don't comply, and also silently siding with the terrorists...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DeadSkirts 11 years on Line! Forum Index -> ALL TOPIC Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: